In this case, you could look for opportunity in Italy at universities that offer what we call “foundation courses”, pre-university classes that would give you basic knowledge necessary for the beginning of your Bachelor`s degree. Please note that each institution may or may not have them.
In alternative, you can follow one year of university education in your country and complete the first year there, then apply for a University/Institution here in Italy.
To which course can I apply to and why are they so different?
Italy offers different institutions, mainly divided in Universities or AFAM institutions (Academies of Music, Art and Dance).
The University system is dived in Bachelor`s degree (3 years course), Master`s degree (2 years course), Single Cycle Degree (5-6 years course) and PhD and Specialization Programmes.
In Italy, students may also find University Master or Academic Master, which last for less than 2 year (usually one year). It is very important to know that these kinds of Masters are not equivalent to Master Degree.
Depending on the Faculty, the Major,, and the specialization students want to apply to, there are many differences.
Single Cycles degree tend to admit students after an entry test. You will need to check the entry test deadlines and location.
An example: if you want to study medicine here in Italy, the entry exam for international students is called IMAT (all information at www.universitaly.it, including the registration process).
Depending onthe score obtained in the IMAT exam, some universities will be available, while other options will be excluded. Given this final uncertainty, which depends on a later evaluation phase, in this particular case, it is possible to mark several options on Universitaly.
You will need to check each institution`s call for applications.
Check carefully, as the requirements and deadlines may vary.
You will first have to submit you application to those institutions and wait for a response.
You can send applications to as many universities and/or institutions as you wish to apply. Those institutions will send a "letter of eligibility for enrolment", meaning that they have positively assessed your application and that, pending further evidence (e.g. entry visa, high school/bachelor`s diploma to be obtained shortly afterwards, language certificate, entry test, etc.), and they have decided to accept your application.
Please note: some institutions have a limited number of seats for a single course, therefore is not always guaranteed even if you have received the letter of eligibility.
Remember that you will be able to pre-enrol to ONLY one University and one course on the Universitaly Portal.
In addition, remember that this condition does not apply when enrolling on Single Cycle Degree programmes (i.e. Medicine, Veterinary, Architecture and others).

You can!
In Italy, Higher education Institutions offer more than 500 courses entirely taught in English. You can check on Universitaly website, under the voice `courses in English` that will be found on the left.
You will find the name of the and below them, all the courses and degrees that are taken in English. It is also possible to find the relative website of each university/course to have a more precise view of the choice.
www.universitaly.itis the portal for those students wishing to obtain more information about the Higher Education System in Italy. Registration and filling up of pre enrolment form on the portal will be compulsory for international students in need for a Visa.

It depends on the terms & conditions of the scholarships you wish to apply.
Some Universities may open the calls at the same time, other institutes and bodies will not. Make sure to carefully read the information about scholarships and universities before making a choice.

You should contact the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your country for help.
Moreover, if you are a student from one of our foreign offices (
China, Vietnam, Iran, India, Indonesia) contact our offices abroad!
You will need proof of accommodation in Italy for your Visa Application, but it can be temporary.
We recommend you find a stable accommodation for the first few weeks in Italy and use these days to personally visit houses/rooms you may want to rent.
Do not take for granted what online advertisements tell you!
A very important thing to take in mind, no matter your final decision, is to NEVER pay in advance unless you are 100% positive that everything is fine.

This is a very personal matter. If you wish to live the college experience, you can choose some Institutions that have residences for students. Many of them offer private areas – bedroom, bathroom – and commune areas such as kitchens, libraries, relax areas etc.
On the other hand, apartments will be a more intimate choice. Depending on your financial availabilities, you can either choose to live with 2-4 roommates or choose to live by yourself. In any case, remember that you will have to add living costs such as food and other things.

It depends. In Italy, there are both public and private university-level institutions.
The financial contribution requested may vary both according to the institute in question.

Payment of fees and contributions is usually divided into two or three instalments depending on the timetable decided for each course of study.
You will need to convert your student Visa into a residence permit for study (permesso di soggiorno per motivi di studio).
You have eight days from your arrival in Italy to submit your application for a residence permit for study to the police headquarters (Questura).
Some universities have dedicated counters to send this request; otherwise, you have to go to the post office. There is a kit called the `residence permit kit` that you will have to fill in.
You will then be summoned after a while to present yourself at the police station.
The post office will issue a receipt for the application for a residence permit, which will be useful while you are waiting to receive your permit. Do not lose it!
Why would I need an Italian bank account?

It depends, as in some cases, it is best if you have one.
For example, if you are a scholarship holder, you will need an Italian bank account for money transfer.
In general, owning an Italian bank account may facilitate some actions you may have to take here, such as opening a phone contract with the Wi-Fi line at home, or take a transport subscription.
A valid residence permit will allow you to freely move in Italy and travel around the European Union, within the Schengen Area.
What if, once in Italy, I still need help?

You can contact Uni-Italia for support! Just send us an email at student@uni-italia.it.
Moreover, many universities and some AFAM institutions have an International Affairs Office that will help foreign students to deal with practical matters (admissions tests, enrolment, information about regional scholarships and grants, residence permits, health insurance, accommodation and so on).
Here you can find a list of useful numbers to remember for your stay in Italy:
112 Pronto Intervento, Carabinieri. 112 is also the single European emergency number (NUE). Throughout the European Union, if you need help, simply call 112 (single emergency number) which will alert the appropriate services.
113 Public emergency assistance, Police.
115 Fire Brigade Emergency
118 Health Emergency
1522 Help for women victims of violence.
Also, remember to write down the address and the phone number/email of the Embassy/Consulate of your Country in the city in which you will live.